Skip to main content

Khush Aamdeed 3G

It was mid night  and I was playing Dabbu(a local board game of Pakistan) at Landhi, Karachi with my childhood friend & collegue Umair Ali, who is IT & Satellite Officer of MTV Networks (Pakistan). It was my turn to play the shot when my mobile vibrates with a message from my cellular company offering me a MMS & Internet package. I read that message & mumbled the most popular word starting from F & ending on K; No!  its not FacebooK.


Google Images
Umair asked me "what happened?" and I told him about that not so attractive offer. "Many more to come" said Umair playing his shot. "Why?" I asked picking that striker back from board as he hasn't pocket any piece. "Because Gilani Jee! has approved the 3G policy for Pakistan", he replied with taunted smile. "What's this 3G thing Mr. Satellite?" I ask while playing shot. "Its another generation of mobile communication", he replied wisely. "Details Please" I asked.

Google Images
"Yaar!", he lit a  cigarette, "Today cellular communication work on the basis of switch to circuit basis here, for example, when you make a call its makes a circuit like a solution of maze that lasts till end of call. Now lets assume a switch contains 48 circuits that means 48 user can call at a time but the 49th have to wait until a call ends, this is the reason you often face "Network Busy" problem", he finally exhale the smoke while removing the cigarette from his lips. 

"In 3G technology the data which can be voice, message or emails can be in form of packets which will be weighed in KB, MB son on so forth". he continued, "How?" I asked as it was like a rocket science for me.

He thought for a couple of seconds as he was solving a puzzle in his mind then said," Roughly saying, During call if both of you are silent means neither data is being sent nor received, no charges will be deducted.& some on can else sent his data on that link at his cost" I roughly understand what he was trying to say.

Today when we subscribe a Internet bundle package e.g. 10 MB for PKR 10 it is for internet usage only. In 3G  we will be able to utilize it more faster as Data rate will be higher. We will be charged for what we use. We can use 10 MB for making a 1 hour voice call or 10 minute video call. The more the weight of packet the more the charge. Alternative channel will automatically be provided by BTS in case of heavy traffic on network. 3G networks offer greater security than their 2G predecessors. By allowing the UE (User Equipment) to authenticate the network it is attaching to, the user can be sure the network is the intended one and not an impersonator.
Google Images

But why the government all of sudden become so interested in issuing the license as it was previously rejected unanimously by the telcos because of the infrastructural charges they have to bear. Now new companies are being offered for it. The cost of licensed  has been reduced to 21 crore from 29.1 crore compared to its old   2G license. Company will just have to pay 50% of the finalized amount in Dollars & rest will paid in either currency Dollar or Pakistani Rupees in 5 years. No additional charges will be applied on new technological advancement license.

Government is facing heavy pressure from different social & political circles for the transparency and professionalism. PTA will have to devise an appropriate methodology to conduct varying component of this auction. Else they will lose the game like I lost in Dabbu from Mr. Satellite. 






SAVE TREES.. THINK BEFORE PRINTING!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Namaz Kit for Workplace | نماز پاوچ

عالم اسلام میں جمعہ کو انتہائی مذہبی اہمیت حاصل ہے۔ اس میں سب سے خاص   ہفتہ وار، دوپہرمیں ادا کی جانے والی   نماز 'نماز جمعہ'    ہے۔زمانہ قدیم سے ہی مسلمان اس نماز کو ادا کرنے کیلئے خاص اہتمام کرتے ہیں۔ بیشتر خلیجی ممالک میں اس روز ہفتہ وار تعطیل بھی ہوتی ہے۔ البتہ پاکستان میں اس روز دفاتر معمول کے مطابق کھلے ہوتے ہیں۔ لیکن اس کے باوجود بھی مسلمان نماز جمعہ کو احسن طریقے سے ادا کرنے کی کوشش کرتے ہیں ۔   لیکن کیا آپ کو پتہ ہے کہ اگر آپ اپنے ساتھ ایک نماز پاوچ رکھیں تو اس نماز کو مزید خشوع وخضوع کے ساتھ ادا کیا جا سکتا ہے۔ اس نماز پاوچ میں درج ذیل اشیاء شامل کی جا سکتی ہیں۔   عطر نماز میں خوشبو/ عطر لگانا افضل ہے۔ یہ سماں باندھنے اور کیفیت طاری کرنے میں انتہائی معاون ثابت ہوتا ہے۔ حس شامہ کے ذریعے ہم اپنے ذہن کو پیغام دے سکتے ہیں کہ اب عبادت کا وقت ہوا چاہتا ہے۔  ذاتی طور پر مجھے گرمیوں میں 'روح خس' او سردیوں میں ' عطر شمامہ' پہنا پسند ہے۔ البتہ یہ دونوں بر صغیر کی خوشبوئیں ہیں۔ آپ چاہیں تو عربی خوشبو مثلا عود وغیرہ پہن سکتے ہیں۔ چاہے عطر کی خوشبو

My Summer Reads

The current economic turmoil, political instability, judicial uncertainty, and military repositioning has influenced my bookshelf of the summer too much. My summer reading list compromises money management books.   1. The Psychology of Money: The Psychology of Money by Morgan Housel. It is one of the finest books on understanding money and its management or we can say the relationship between Money and Human Behavior. The premise of the book is that we think of earning money as rational and logical but we spend money based on emotions and psychology. It consists of independent chapters on money, saving, investment, and spending. It can be read interdependently if you need recommendations on some specific targets.   2. Intelligent Investor: Intelligent Investor is written by Benjamin Graham. First published in 1949 and revised in 1972. It is a comprehensive and classic guide to investing but if you are interested in understanding classic strategies on the share market or mon

26 lessons I learn from Rejection

Although I am disappointed but I have no doubts over the recruitment process and have no objection on my rejection. Life is full of experiences and lessons, and lesson keep repeating themselves until learnt. Let me share most alarming findings and lessons: 1. Keep your Social Profile Updated All started from here, from Linkedin. I received a message from a Human Resource Personal to contact him on urgent basis. At that point, I did not have any idea why he was asking me to call. 2. Do pick Unknown Numbers I normally pick unknown number until/unless I am really busy. I received a call during office hours but (I don't remember why) I missed it. When I call back the operator was unable to recall who called me and why? But she told it is an HR Agency and if needed, you will contacted soon. (Result : a day wasted) 3. Phone and Face-to-Face Interview might happen on same day It happened with me for the first time. A lady called in morning and took a short interview, to scan